Please visit my sites Queer Music Heritage and OutRadio

Monday, May 13, 2013

Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?


I posted on Facebook about the song "Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl" and got so much response that I decided to do a full blog entry on it. The Barbarians reached #55 in October of 1965 with it, and of course this was during the full attack of Beatlemania, so why not do a commentary on the hairstyles prominent in those days.


 A year after the Barbarians, a band called the Ravens covered the song.
 

 And in 1978 a band calling themselves The Dogs did a harder rock version.
 

Total hindsight allows us to give a different look at "Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl," and who better than our own Jayne County. She included her interpretation on her 1995 CD "Let Your Backbone Slip."


And I found a couple YouTube versions of it, with joyfully, one of them done live.





*****


And I also have one from 1990 by The Peecocks. I did not find a video of it, but you can...
Click to Hear the Peecocks

And, if you really want to belabor the point, you can find
several more amateur versions on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment