Please visit my sites Queer Music Heritage and OutRadio

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Houston's Mustang Band



Reclaiming Lost History

The Mustang Band started in Houston in the late 1970's, as an offshoot of the social organization, The Mustang Club. They played all of the club's functions and then started working at other clubs and bars in Texas. From that point they began shows outside of the state, including playing the Mardi Gras for six years, and a regular route of bars in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. They played the Reno Gay Rodeo (3 years), and even got as far as Cincinnati and Boston.



All told, they played together for about seven years...by that time the AIDS epidemic decimated the band and their audiences, and they stopped playing in the early 1980's. I took this information from emails sent to me by founding member Larry Hodge, who said he believes he is the only surviving member. He now lives in central Illinois.


Like a lot of bar bands they played mostly cover songs, and while they did no professional recording, Larry was able to send me a CD made from a cassette tape recorded at a show. I am pleased to share with you some lost history. From the recording I picked two with the best sound, "I Don't Wanna Cry" and "Drivin' My Life Away.




Larry Hodge is second from the right. Below is a scan of the large 
patches Mustang Club members wore on the back of their jackets.



Above, CDR done of a cassette recording of a show, and below, Los Angeles bar ad



Above, if anyone can provide me with the Mustang Band 45,
or a recording of it, I'd be most grateful


Below, 1982 ads





No comments:

Post a Comment