Please visit my sites Queer Music Heritage and OutRadio

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Judy Reagan - Hollywood Haircut




I love that in this video I can honor at the same time two creations that themselves honored the lesbian pioneers of the 1930's through the 1960's. On Judy Reagan's 1983 LP "Old Friends," she included the wonderful song "Hollywood Haircut," and it deserves so much more attention than it has received over the years.


At the same time, a book I very much respect is "Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold: The History of a Lesbian Community," by Elizabeth Lapovsky Kennedy and Madeline Davis. It provides an important look at the emergence of the lesbian community, in this case in Buffalo, NY, but those insights would likely apply across the country.






If anyone knows how to reach Judy Reagan, I would love to interview her.



No comments:

Post a Comment